Thursday, December 28, 2017

New Southern AZ Finds

While visiting family in the Tucson area over Christmas 2017, I came across some new to me federal VHF channels in use. These include 2 new DMR VHF federal channels that I have not been able to determine who the user is yet.

168.7750 MHz DMR - Color Code 12, Time Slot 1
All conversations heard on Talk Group 111, so not part of a trunked system. All transmissions were encrypted.

169.3750 MHz DMR - Color Code 12, Time Slot 1
All conversations heard on Talk Group 122. Radio IDs were not the same as seen on 168.7750 MHz. All transmissions were encrypted.

   I'm not certain who these belong to. I had heard some analog traffic on the 168.7750 frequency in past years, but never identified who the user was. The frequencies themselves have been associated with the Department of Agriculture and the US Postal Service. My bet it probably on the USPS at some central mail facility in Tucson. Why they enabled the encryption is beyond me.

And as I was searching I came across two more CBP repeaters that I have not logged in my past visit:

169.8875 MHz, N208
173.9375 MHz, N304

Both carried encrypted traffic with the normal CBP radio identification ranges.

No comments: